Are you financially prepared if a disaster strikes? The best way to make sure you are prepared is to create an evacuation box. This box should be stored in a fire and waterproof box, in a safe location, and easily accessible in the case of a disaster. Here are our recommendations for what to put in your box:
- Copies of passports, driver’s license, social security cards, birth certificates, adoption certificates, and marriage certificates
- Copies of home, car, disability, life, and health insurance cards and policies
- Copies of car titles
- Credit card numbers and creditor phone numbers
- Written lists and photos of valuables or home inventory
- Financial records including stock and bond certificates, mortgage records, wills, and deeds. Also keep a backup of computerized financial records.
- User names and passwords
- Emergency phone numbers including doctors, pharmacy, insurance company, family, friends, work, and school
- List of debt obligations, due dates, and contact information for creditors
- Past 2-4 years tax returns
- List of current prescriptions and dosage amounts
- Health records
- Records of major home repairs and remodels
- Enough cash to live on for at least 3 days
Disaster can strike at any time and it’s always best to be prepared. Do you have any other suggestions of what to keep in your evacuation box?