- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples
- 2 pounds Braeburn apples
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg white
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Butter-pecan ice cream
- Preheat oven to 350º. Peel apples, and cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges. Toss apples with cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar.
- Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat; add brown sugar, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat, and place 1 piecrust in skillet over brown sugar mixture. Spoon apple mixture over piecrust, and top with remaining piecrust. Whisk egg white until foamy. Brush top of piecrust with egg white; sprinkle with 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top for steam to escape.
- Bake at 350º for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly, shielding with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary. Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving. Serve with butter-pecan ice cream.
Mrs. James Wright, Chattanooga, Tennessee, Southern Living