The months between Memorial Day and Labor Day are when most moves happen. Keep yourself and your family safe from identity theft and fraud during your move by doing the following tips:
- Submit a change of address form through the USPS and notify all organizations that send you mail of your address change. A change of address form can be found here.
- Prevent dumpster divers from obtaining sensitive information by shredding sensitive documents.
- Hire a reputable mover and supervise the entire move.
- Make sure to close previous phone, gas, electric, cable, etc. accounts to prevent new tenants from re-opening the account after you move.
- Lock your computers and if possible, move those yourself.
- Monitor your financial statements and check your credit report 3 months after your move.